Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Time… what a lie!


How many times we have thought: 
it is taking too long… it is lasting so little… I am late… it shouldn’t take too much… when I finish this I will be able to do that… I don’t have enough time to do all the things I want…?


I wonder whether the person who invented the word time thought about the perverse consequences of focusing our attention obsessively on it.

Sometimes we waste our lives running from one place to another, from a meeting to another, from a task to another, following a plan that we defined or, even worse, let somebody else define for us.

Time is the result of perception.
When we feel happy, time flies. It is as if it never existed, and we live so intensively the present that there is no place for worries and stress. We passionately enjoy the moment, and nothing else matters.

When we feel bored, annoyed or stressed, we wish time passed away fast. We want to escape from this moment, as if this would bring us more peace or happiness.

Whenever I feel so, I force myself to stop, focus on the present moment, observe what I feel and question my attitude:
  • What am I thinking right now that makes me feel like this? What is this feeling telling me about how I look to reality?
  • What can I choose to think to feel happier? What can I learn from this moment? How can I use this moment to achieve my goals even faster?
At the moment I asked myself these questions, the inner clock stops. I become in control again, balanced, and centered in the present. Time does not exist any longer.
As the poem says: I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul

No comments:

Post a Comment